Wednesday, May 7, 2008

six months ago...

...I was awoken from my sleep at 3:30am. I was in the middle of a really strong contraction. It seemed to come out of nowhere. I decided to get out of bed, without waking your Daddy, and go to the living room to time my contractions. Not even 4 minutes later, I was doubled over with another really strong contraction. Is this real labor? Should I call the doctor? Should I try to go back to sleep and wait it out? All of these thoughts were going through my mind only to be interrupted by yet another strong contraction!

At 3:39am I called the doctor. He told me, nonchalantly, that it may or may not be labor, but I should probably get my stuff together and come in to the hospital.

Within seconds of hanging up the phone, I was having another contraction. They were apart 3 minutes apart and I could hardly stand it. The previous morning, I had had my 40 week check-up and my doctor noted that I was 100% effaced and almost 4 cm dilated. Worried about the chances of labor going too quickly and delivering my baby at home (YIKES!), my doctor had scheduled me to have my water broken the very next morning at 6:30am. Apparently, you inherited my wonderful strong-willed and impatient qualities, because you were coming on your own terms!

Contractions were just too close together and things were moving too quickly that were forced to wake your sisters and bring them to the hospital with us. My dear friend, Amy, who had previously agreed to watch Ella and Britten, was gracious enough to meet us at the hospital and bring them back home.

By 4:30am I was checked into my room and finally able to relax (well, relax as much as you can when you're going through transition!) knowing I wasn't having YOU at home. I was in good hands with the staff at my hospital.

By 5:00am, my water still hadn't broken, and the doctor I had called, who was still at home at the time, still hadn't made it to the hospital. I was ready to push, but because the nurses couldn't break my water without the doctor present, I had to patiently breathe through my contractions until the doctor arrived at 5:20am (and believe me, that's not easy!).

Finally, 5:25am, everything was set to go! At 5:39am, we welcomed YOU, our beautiful little Chloe, into the world. Weighing 6 lbs 13 oz and 19 inches long, you were such a little peanut! And the head of hair you had! We just couldn't believe it! 6 months later, you still have every single strand on your head.

Two hours, to the exact minute, after calling my doctor (I confirmed this by looking at outgoing calls on my cell phone), you were here. In all your glory.

We love you, little girl! We are so blessed to have you in our lives! Happy 6 months, Chloe Jean!

PS. You must have a good sense of humor, too, because this morning, at EXACTLY 5:39am you woke up, ready to go! Just don't let that become a habit, you hear?!

11 comments:

Mamaskills said...

As the girl taxi I also have wonderful, but vivid memories of that night :) I'm ready for next time...he...he..

Hilary said...

Awww, happy 6 month birthday Chloe!!

Kristi said...

Happy SIX-month Birthday, Chloe! You are just SOOOOO cute!!

How fun to hear about that day, six months ago, Amanda! Thanks for sharing!!!

Kim said...

Happy 6 month you adoreable little hair bear you!
Thanks for sharing this story. What a sweetheart.

Lisa said...

What a sweet baby girl. I love that hair. Bring her on over here so I can put some bows in it.

I am already missing 6 months and my baby girl is 7 months and very grabby.

Anonymous said...

It was fun hearing that story again. Happy 6 months, Chloe girl!!! That photo is TO DIE FOR!! Adorable.

sarah said...

happy 6 month birthday chloe!! :)

Jessica said...

I must confess that I'm just a lurker on your blog, but your birth story gave me goose bumps. What a beautiful little girl you have!

Angela said...

she is such a beauty.

what a fun memory - i just cherish all of those memories that i've had with childbirth and all that goes with it- it is such a miracle.

Lakeville Vertical said...

She's such a cutie! You are so blessed to have that little beauty. Yes, you don't want to have her at home. That happened to me with our third-I blogged about it in March on my little guy's 4th birthday. It's not fun!! Blessings.

4under3 said...

6 months? I feel like you were just born yesterday...or wait...I feel like I just met you cyberly as a two month old--just yesterday. ;)

Nonetheless, you are chewable!!