Thursday, May 29, 2008

marathon mommies: go!

It's time, ladies! Let's put on our running shoes and GO! Wait, wait, wait! I didn't mean NOW, I meant in a few days. Whew!

I've spent some time in recent days going through our local races, and because we're starting to train later in the "marathon season," I was too late in registering for a full marathon and wasn't able to get in this year. So instead I've registered for the only 1/2 marathon that I could find with available spots, and this 1/2 marathon is scheduled for September 6th.

Even though the 1/2 marathon is scheduled for September, I've decided to officially start training this Monday, June 2nd. I put together a training schedule and have used Google Calendar to outline everything. My Marathon Mommies calendar includes the training schedule, races and Fun Runs, and I welcome YOU to join me!

I do understand that we are all starting at various levels and before you start training you should be able to run for at least 30 minutes without stopping. Distance is not important right now. You just need to get your body used to running. Combinations of run/walks are great to use during pre-training because they ease your body into the exercise and minimizes the chance of experiencing a running injury. Once you're easily running a 30-minute mile, you can adjust the training schedule to meet your specific needs.

I'm currently scheduled and registered to run in 4 races this summer. 1 5k, 2 10k's and a 1/2 marathon. My first race, a 10k, is scheduled for June 21st, in Perham, MN. I know the summer months, particularly weekends, are especially busy for everyone, and we as MOMS already have enough on your plates. It's because of this, that I'll consider it a HUGE accomplishment if you can even run one race this summer. You can choose to run with me or pick your own race, depending on where you live and your summer calendar.

In doing this together, it's all about accountability. We need to hold each other accountable in our training, and encourage and support each other through all of this, because Lord knows, this won't be an easy task! I intend to write an accountability post every Monday, and in writing this post, will document how well (or not so well!) I did with training that week. I will also use this post as a time to vent my frustrations (as I'm sure I'll have a lot of them!) or document my successes (and I hope to have a lot of those, as well!)! My hope is that YOU will do the same, by posting a comment every week.

So, check out the Marathon Mommies calendar by clicking here. Training begins Monday and I have it scheduled to last through the 1/2 marathon, September 6th. To find out race information, just click on the link and that will give you an outline of the event and race details.

Before we begin this fun, yet challenging, task of training for a 1/2 marathon, I'll leave you with a quote from a very wise man.

"Anybody can do just about anything with himself (herself) that he (she) really wants to and makes his (her) mind to do. We are capable of greater than we realize."

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a superstar running coach!!!! Have you thought of a new career as a personal trainer??? That's with all your spare time of course:) I'm gonna follow the long run schedule with you but a different training schedule as I wanna put in a few mores miles...I signed up today for the half marathon:) yay it will be fun!!! and I'm a go for the turtle fest 10k too-what can be better than turtle fest??? heather

Kristi said...

OK...I just talked over this date, September 6th, with Pat and it looks like it could work for me to run WITH you!!! We could meet for the first time sweating and struggling to breathe together as we run 13.1 miles!! :-) It is nice that it worked out to be in a place that it not TOO far from here!!!

I will look into registering here...and make my COMMITMENT!!! Yikes...am I ready for this??? :-)

I would love to join you on that June 21st one...a 10K would be a great start. But, I have a cousin getting married that day. Probably not a great reason to miss the wedding, huh?? :-) (Just kidding...like I would ever miss the wedding!).

We still haven't decided when in July we are going to make our trip to your neck of the woods to visit family...but, if it ends up being that weekend in July (the 26), I may just join you on that one. I have never really ran a race before (well, besides a 5-mile relay thingy...a race where four of us each ran 5 miles). But, never one on my own (well, other than track meets!).

Well, I will stop sharing my life story with you here... :-)

Thanks for setting all of this up. I am going to follow your training schedule just like you have it...I think that it looks do-able and great! So, thanks for doing this, Amanda...I have always wanted to do this, but really have needed some encouragement and accountability to fully commit. So, thanks for spurring me on in this way!

I SO hope that we will get to meet...wouldn't that be FUN?? :-)

sarah said...

wow ... sweet calendar you put together!

i won't be able to do the half with you because we are running the chicago half the next weekend.

but ... i may do the july 10k :) i am going to look into it.

FUN FUN :) I'm excited!

thanks for taking the time to do this amanda!

Hilary said...

I totally thought about getting in on this with you...but I don't think I can even run for 30 minutes straight! ack :)
I've been walking ALOT lately (in addition to my workout videos) and will maybe run 3 or 4 times within my hour walk...but like only a minute at a time. So, i'm waaaay off from doing races or marathons! But, if you do this again next year..I think i'll be more equipped to join you!
I've NEVER thought of myself as a marathon runner or even a runner at that! But, now that i'm getting back into shape, I'm interested in new ways to workout.
So, good luck to all you ladies! Happy running! I'll think of you as I walk :)

Yvette said...

Yesterday when I first read your posts, I felt overwhelmed and took a nap. :)

Like Hilary, mostly I walk with a few jogs here and there. I haven't run much in a while. Last week, I tried running the entire time. I ran two miles in about 20 minutes. (I usually try to walk at a good rate for 30-40 minutes).

Today, I was determined to try running for 30 minutes since that's what you recommended. I'm happy to report that I made it and ran 3 miles. It was a long 30 minutes. Sadly, my knees started to hurt at about 25 miles (and 2.5 miles). They were sore for a while after, but they feel better now. Not what I was hoping for. I don't think I'll be pushing myself past the 3 mile mark for a while until I'm sure my knees are strong enough to take it. I am going to try to keep to your schedule though even though I don't feel ready to enter a race and I may shorten the distances. Thanks much!

Yvette said...

25 minutes... I meant minutes, not miles.

MerrandaVK said...

Sounds like an excellent schedule. I am not quite up to running 30 mins. yet so I am going to follow you guys but with a modified distance, and walk some of it. I am going to walk/run a 5k this weekend though with a friend. Blessings!

Anonymous said...

Hey.. I ran 3 on Monday, finding the motivation to run 3 today. I usually run every other day:) I am committed to the DL run in Sept. Very Excited!