Monday, May 5, 2008

bunches of brocoli

I thought I'd give it a whirl. Online grocery shopping, that is. I'd been dragging my feet for the longest time, convincing myself it wasn't worth the effort. Boy, was I wrong! I had myself very deceived. It was worth every single ounce of energy it took to sit in front of my laptop, snuggled in my blanket, adding item by item into my online grocery cart.

It gave me the option to either have my groceries delivered to my own front door, or I could choose to drive-through at the grocery store and have them load my already bagged items into my van. Either option sounded heavenly, but considering I'd be in the area running errands, I opted for picking them up myself. I drove through, gave them my reference number, and within seconds I was pulling out of the parking lot with a smile on my face and a van full of groceries. What a success! It was just as simple as everyone had told me it was! Cheers for simplicity!

As I was unpacking my bags and putting my groceries away, I came across three rather large, perfect, organic heads of broccoli, all bound together by a rubber band. Wow, I thought to myself, even bigger and better than I imagined!

Moments later, while unpacking another bag, I stumbled across another bunch of broccoli, same as before. Wait a second, I thought I only ordered 1 bunch... I showed the two bags of broccoli to my husband and we both agreed we'll never finish it before it goes to waste...But wait (as I opened the next bag)...what's this?!?

TWO MORE BUNDLES OF 3 LARGE BROCCOLI HEADS! You have got to be kidding me!!!

For those of you not good at math, including myself, let's count the (large) broccoli heads together: 1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10...11...12!

Ordering 12 heads of broccoli was my fault, I will admit to that. But it was an honest mistake! I thought I was ordering 4 heads of broccoli, not 4 bunches, with each bunch including 3 (have I mentioned large?) heads of broccoli. I guess something like that was bound (no pun intended) to happen when you grocery shop online for the first time. But goodness, what do you do with 12 heads of broccoli?

Well, I think I had a couple solutions:

1. Give my neighbor, Jess, 4 heads, leaving me with 8.

2. Pawn a few heads off on your kids as snacks

Thank goodness they like broccoli!

5 comments:

nealy said...

Hilarious!!! You better find some recipes to make with brocoli. I have a good one for brocoli cheese soup if you want it! =)

Anonymous said...

SO FUNNY!!!!!! I especially LOVED the photo of the broccoli ("only" 8 of them) laying on the table!!

Hilary said...

haha! They actually look quite small laying there on the table (granted, there are many of them, but still look "small") then come the pictures with Ella and Britten eating them. And well, they are big! I had to laugh out loud!!
So, what did you do with the other 6?

Kim said...

Must be nice! My kid WILL NOT TOUCH broccoli, nor will he give it a second glance on his plate.... errrr

Kristi said...

TOO FUNNY!!! :-) Cute pics!