Tuesday, May 27, 2008

gut instinct

I should have trusted my instincts tonight. The deep down pull that told me I shouldn't do it. All odds were against me. I was single parenting three crabby girls, all of who were still recovering from a busy Memorial Day and little sleep the night before. The weather was cold and windy and I hadn't served dinner yet, so I had some very hungry munchkins on my hands. But despite it all, I thought we could still enjoy a night at the ballfields, watching Daddy play a little softball.

I stopped by Subway and bought dinner on the way and was prepared for the cooler weather, bringing layers of clothes and our trusty fleece blanket. Yes. We WOULD have a great time at the ballfields, all snuggled together cheering Daddy on...

Or not. We lasted less than one game. My girls were NOT happy campers and wouldn't let up about how cold they were. They kept screaming, whining and wriggling around, so that every time they moved, their blanket would fall off and thus continue the vicious cycle of keeping them cold. I wasn't upset with them but annoyed with myself for not trusting my motherly gut instinct to keep them home. Oh well. You can't win 'em all, I guess.

Oh, I almost forgot. I guess you CAN win 'em all if you're referring to my hubby's softball team! They won both of their games tonight, and apparently my husband played MUCH better his second game, without us there to distract him. I guess having us sit right next to the dugout, with Ella and Britten screaming and yelling at him every 3 seconds, was a little disconcerting. Not sure we'll be making more appearances at his softball games this season! :)

Here's a few photos as proof of our brief attendance at the game tonight:

Seconds before the picture was taken, Ella's face wore the exact same expression as Britten's. Don't let her smile fool you!

It was like pulling teeth to get them both to smile. I bribed them with a cookie. Look at their little noses, though. Both red from being cold. It WAS cold outside and I had no problem with leaving early.

I think I'll nickname Chloe "Old Faithful." She's was the only one NOT affected by the cold tonight and was so content hanging off of me. She'd of hung there all night if it was up to her!
Can you tell he was excited to have us there?!? He didn't put up a fight when I told we were leaving early. I wonder why! :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVED this post. Read it last night but my computer wouldn't let me comment. Good for you for giving it a go, but I guess next time you'll reassess your girls' limits. I wish Ella would have kept her crabby face on in that photo! It would have been even better:) I have fun living through your cold, crabby experience. Thanks for sharing! Oh, and I don't buy it a bit that Andy was happy to see you all go:) Though I do think it's cute (and very understandable) that he did better in his SECOND game. Hah! Here's hoping your migraines go away and stay away, too, you poor girl:(

Kristi said...

GREAT pictures!!! :-) True, real life moments...we all have them!! :-)

I know what you mean about that "gut instinct"...ignoring it and then finding out how real and true it is when all three kids are melting down in the Target check-out and I am wishing that I would have just stayed home! :-)

We live and learn...and take some great pictures to remember it all too! :-)

Hope that everyone was able to get some good rest last night and today!

Angela said...

You all look beautiful and HAPPY to me! But- I know what you mean- I do the same thing, sometimes- ignore my motherly instinct and, later on, think- WHY didn't I just listen!! Anyway- at least you got out of the house for a little bit. AND- got out of cooking dinner! Subway- that'll do, right?