Friday, June 13, 2008

traveling not-so "light" with a "light"weight in tow

Our trip to Colorado next week will be the first vacation in which I've flown with one of my children. I know that seems impossible, considering we have a 4 1/2 year old, but really, it's true. I can count on one hand the number of times I've flown since having children, and when I have, I'm flying strictly for childless vacation purposes.

I always end up sitting next to a mom and her baby, or right across the aisle from a family with small children. I can assure you I am not the person rolling my eyes or grumbling under my breath about the crying baby or the screaming toddler. I am the understanding mother, trying my best to relieve the tension with an empathetic smile. But under that smile, I am always pondering the same thought, "Someday that will be me - the frazzled mom with a screaming baby or a tantrum-throwing toddler - and I absolutely dread that day."

That dreaded day has finally come, and truthfully, I'm excited about traveling with Chloe. I think she'll manage fine with the flight and our Colorado adventure. Chloe's very adaptable and is known to "go with the flow." But as I prepare for our trip, I'm becoming absolutely overwhelmed by the amount of "baby stuff" we need to bring in order to sustain Chloe for 4 measly days. I thought it was rough for me, as a woman, to travel light ("Yes, hubby, I NEED 8 pairs of shoes, because you just never know, you know?!"). But for some reason, my 18 pound baby puts my packing habits to shame. Here's what I mean...

Things to pack for Chloe:
  • 4 summer outfits
  • 2 winter outfits, because in Colorado, it could snow in June
  • 4 onesies
  • 2 pair of socks
  • shoes/sandals
  • 3 sets of pajamas - 1 warm, 2 cool
  • coat
  • sweatshirt
  • bathing suit
  • swimming diapers
  • sun hat
  • sun screen
  • hair clips - you know, to keep her "wisps" out of her eyes
  • baby shampoo
  • diapers
  • wipes
  • ointment
  • medicine (Tylenol & teething medicine, because you just never know!)
  • 2 nuks
  • baby food, because in recent days, Chloe's been eating food
  • baby spoon
  • bib
  • a few toys
  • car seat for the rented car
  • baby back-pack carrier, borrowed to us by our wonderful neighbors
  • nursing cover, though it does little to no good nowadays, as Chloe gets SO irritated by it and ends up pushing it out of her face.
  • burp cloths
Things I should pack for Chloe, but won't:
  • pack'n'play
  • booster seat
  • stroller
  • breast pump, because you never know when that would come in handy!
  • nail polish to paint her cute little toe nails (I'm kidding on that one. I'll be packing nail polish for sure. :) j/k)
Yowsers. I'm sure I'm forgetting some important necessities, and if I am, please let me know. My brain's a little fried right now.

3 comments:

Kristi said...

OH yes...isn't it so much work to leave town with a baby in tow?? :-) What a list you have there!!

At least you HAVE the list - you will be organized and ready, I can tell...but, now do you have about TEN extra suitcases to pack all of that stuff?? ha ha

Oh...big news that Chloe is now eating baby food, huh??? That is great! :-)

Anonymous said...

We just took a road trip to Wisconsin for a week with Micah, and our little car (which we took for gas price reasons) was SO PACKED! Ben and I had one suitcase, and Micah had about 4 bags, his stroller, and his exersaucer. They are so high maintainance :-)

Anonymous said...

The first time I traveled with Ellie was when she was 2 months old!...the anxiety is coming back to me again! I flew to Oklahoma from minneapolis. Long story short, I cried along with Ellie the last half of the trip! Keep in mind, I was alone! Glad your husband will be with you!