Tuesday, June 24, 2008

marathon mommies: weekly log

I guess I'm pretty horrible at this whole weekly log thing. I know I totally forgot, well, I didn't forget, I just didn't have the time last week to post a weekly log before we left for Colorado. The good news is that I'm much better at the whole running side of things and have only missed one day of my scheduled runs.

I did, however, miss the 10k on Saturday I intended to run and instead ran my own "race" around the neighborhood. It was a tough decision, but because we had just returned home from Colorado and a 5-hour drive from picking up the older girls from Grandma, I determined that loading the girls back in the van the very next morning for yet another 3 hours wasn't a wise decision.

I do admit, as I'm into my 4th consecutive week of training, that I'm becoming less enthused about my almost daily runs. That's not to say I'm quitting, because I'm not, I'm still very excited about accomplishing my goal of running the 1/2 marathon at the end of the summer. I just feel the "excitement" of starting something new has worn off a little and it's becoming more of a chore. I'm supposed to run 8 miles this Saturday, which I'm confident I CAN do, but with my husband out of town again, I'll have to run this long trek on the treadmill at the gym. YUCK! I'm at least very fortunate to have childcare at my gym so I have the option of getting out of the house and running during daylight hours (as opposed to jumping on my own treadmill after bedtime hours).

While in Colorado last week, I did continue my training, though I did slack a little and only ran about 2 miles each day. I felt I deserved a little break with being on vacation and all, or if that's just a lame excuse for laziness, I figured the high altitude made up for the difference in miles I missed (or is that a lame excuse for laziness?). Either way, I did run but was shy a few miles of what my calendar suggests. It was because of this, I found myself struggling while trying to run 6 miles on Saturday. I guess it pays to keep the momentum going...

Aside from desperately needing new running shoes, my training is going well. I'm physically feeling the benefits already and am excited to see the strides (no pun intended!) I make in the coming weeks. I do look forward to running my first race in July as I think that will be the true test on my strength and endurance.

One's things for sure: Having the accountability and support from my fellow marathon mommies has made all the difference in the world for keeping me motivated, so THANK YOU, to all of you!

5 comments:

sarah said...

well ... i'm with you on the being thankful to have a gym to get rid of the kiddos! it makes it a lost easier. HOWEVER ... wouldn't it be nice if we could drop them off and then go for a run outside! man .. i would LOVE that!

ALSO ... if you're going to get new shoes ... go to marathon sports. it's roughly at 50th and penn (i think). they are always really willing to give out discounts. plus they'll watch you run and give you a lot of one on one time to help you pick the perfect shoe! we LOVE the place. a couple times a year they send us coupons for 30% off our whole purchase and that's a good coupon when we're buying 120 dollar shoes!!! anyway ... not that you asked ... but i figured i'd give you that tip :)

Kristi said...

I am plugging along as well!!

The running is really going pretty well. However, all of the other body aches and pains are catching up with me!

My knee is still a bit inflamed now and again...and since buying those new Gel Nimbus shoes, my back on the right side really has been hurting. So, I don't know if they are a great fit for me after all. I am going to bring them back to Scheels today to see what they will do. I ran in them this morning with pain in my back in each stride that I took. Not a fun way to run.

So, if I can get around these aches and pains, I think that things would be going well!! Turning 30 has not been good to me, I guess!! :-)

I am doing some adjustments to my training to give my body/knee more rest between runs. So, where I was running four days a week, I am going to start running three days a week now and see if that helps with the swelling in my knee.

I did run 6 miles as well this past Saturday and it felt pretty good! We will see how 7 goes this Saturday!! Then, I am actually going to be running a 10K on the 4th...so, that should be fun as well!!

Glad that things are going well for you...and I agree...the accountability and encouragement of doing this "together" has been SO helpful in keeping me disciplined and motivated! SO, thank YOU!! :-)

Have a great week!

Kristi said...

Me again! :-)

Yes...that post about Caleb's rock was NOT your computer's fault. I was still "in process" of writing it and must have hit "publish post" instead of "save as draft"!!! Oops! :-) I just got it done now though! It was a "ROCKY" afternoon, I tell you!

AND...I went to Scheels and traded the Gel Nimbus in for a little more support...the Asics 2130. I am hoping that this helps with the back pain. It was just so weird...I have never had anything like that before when running. So, I am praying that it was the shoes...and that my back will feel better. I am going to give it rest until I try to run SEVEN miles on Saturday!! :-)

So, know that I am still planning on trying...I really want to do it! But, YES, I WILL listen to my body and promise to not do anything crazy!!! :-)

Anonymous said...

I slacked just a bit this week...
Still trying to fit everything in.
Abby is in too many activities along with Ellie in speech therapy. I must say I force myself to rise at 6 a.m. in order to have ME time! That "ME" time is running. Hopefully next week will be less chaotic.

Glad to see that you are sticking with it:)

Yvette said...

Great work on running even while out of town!

My knees are not hurting as badly as they did when I first started, which has helped a lot. The last couple weeks, I missed one day each week, running about 2 miles each day.

This past week, I ran 4 days, and ran 3 miles during one of them. I was shooting for the same yesterday, but I got an ache in my side that would not go away even after I stopped to rest a couple of times, but I made it about 2 miles.

Starting tomorrow, I'll be shooting for the 3 mile mark in each run.

I am not an early morning runner. I usually run:
1) with the kids in a double jogging stroller outside in the later morning or early evening if it's cool enough,
2) Or on my treadmill while Cosette naps in the afternoon.

This has been fun. I hope you stay motivated as we all try to do the same!