Sunday, June 29, 2008

a sticky situation

As a last minute decision, I decided to take my girls up north to visit my parents for the weekend. With my husband out of town again for a few days, I had the urge to leave for a while.

Before we headed home this afternoon, I explained to the girls that if they behaved for the first two hours of the trip, we could stop and get a sucker as a nice little treat to enjoy for the remaining hour-long drive.

Sure enough, the girls did great, so I made a quick pit-stop at a gas station to pick up a couple suckers. As I was perusing the aisles for a Tootsie pop, the only suckers I could find were the SUPER blow-pops, SUPER meaning they were at least twice the normal size. I wasn't about to back down on my promise to the girls, so I grabbed two SUPER pops to go. At first glance, the girls literally gasped they were so excited. I can't say I felt the same.

As the girls worked on their suckers, Britten kept telling me she was getting "all sticky," and that she would need "a little bath when we get home." I acknowledged her of course, but because she sits two rows behind me, I wasn't paying much attention to the sticky mess unfolding in the backseat.

In fact, it wasn't until I opened the van doors and Britten stumbled out of the back that I realized, to my horror, the "sticky situation" Britten had gotten herself into with that SUPER blow-pop:




My husband and I actually found it so funny we were laughing so hard we had tears in our eyes. Fortunately for clean-up sake, our older daughter did a much cleaner job of finishing of her sucker.
Not sure I'll be making that purchase again anytime soon!

Note: I'm relieved to say that with a nice, long bath and a lot of picking and scrubbing, we were able to undo Britten's "sticky situation."

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, boy!! That was absolutely frightening to see! I was so glad to hear the update that all is well and un-stuck.

Anonymous said...

Ohmygoodness. Britten looks a lot like Ella in some of those pictures. Isn't it funny how kids can really look like one parent while their sibling looks like another, and they STILL look like each other?

Yvette said...

Great pictures! Too funny! I laughed out loud too. :)

Lisa said...

I'm glad that beautiful hair was okay!

:-)

Kristi said...

OH.MY.WORD!!!

What GREAT pictures of Britten's "sticky situation"...I had a good chuckle over this all!!!

And, I SO know what you mean about the "helplessness" of having kids two rows back in the van and driving by yourself on a road trip!! :-) Many tears have been shed over dropped things that I just couldn't get!!

I too am glad that a nice scrub-down was helpful for your cutie-pie!!! TOO FUNNY!

Angela said...

Oh.... MY!!!!!!

I am not sure what I would have done with that sticky mess. You have patience. I probably would have reached for the scissors!

mrs boo radley said...

I especially love the last pic of Britten looking off to the side.

Anonymous said...

Amanda, I love your blog! The pictures of Britten with the sucker mess was hilarious...she looks like she has an Abraham Lincoln beard on. I laughed so hard. Your family is great. I hope I will see you sometime soon...I need a Selness Family Fix :-)
~Jenny