Thursday, June 5, 2008

ant eater

Ella and I spent the afternoon yesterday making another batch of yummy granola. We literally don't go a day without eating this granola, and the moment I run out, you can guarantee I'm in the kitchen mixing together a new batch or running to the grocery store to buy more ingredients. I've been nicknamed the "granola maid" by my husband, because he's constantly demanding lovingly asking me to make him more granola.

As I was letting the granola cool on the counter, Ella dashed into the kitchen and grabbed a handful of it.

"I need to feed the bug, Mommy."

"Bug? What bug, Ella?"

"The ant in the bathroom!"

We've had a little ant infestation in our upstairs bathroom, and even though we've treated the bathroom for ants and it's much more under control than it was a few weeks ago, we still get a straggler here and there running across the room. Up until Ella decided she wanted to feed the ant, she's been avoiding them at all cost, scared that they'll attack and bite her little ankles. It has made her so nervous, in fact, she's been making me go to the bathroom with her.

Surprised and curious, I decided to follow Ella into the bathroom. Sure enough, the tough little "bug"ger had made his way past the poison we had sprayed along the edges of the floor and was running across our bathroom rug. Ella sprawled herself on the floor and dumped her little pile of granola next the ant. He stopped in his little tracks and slowly made his way over to the food. He circled the granola and sniffed around, but must've decided it wasn't safe or good enough to eat, because he started to run off.

Ella: "No, ant! Come back! Come back and eat your food!" She grabbed an almond from the pile and tried to stop him in his tracks, but instead, squished him in the process. "Oh good! Look, Mom! He's eating the almond!"

I didn't have the heart to tell her she just killed the ant with the almond. She was taking big steps with getting over her fear of ants and I didn't want to traumatize the poor girl. Instead, I'd be a good mom and lie.

"Oh, you're right, honey! He is! That's very nice of you to feed your new little ant friend!'

Even the ants love my granola. It must be a great recipe.

6 comments:

Hilary said...

That's really thoughtful of Ella to want to take care of that ant's nutritional needs :) Isaac loves bugs (every once and a while he'll get freaked out by one, but he usually loves them) and he'll call them "little fella" and push them on swings and talk to them and try to feed them :)
Good for you for encouraging her to get over her fear of bugs. I think sometimes kids can get scared of bugs (or other things) just based on their parents' reaction.

nealy said...

I would love your granola recipe! I couldn't get the link to work, but it sounds good! =)

See you guys tonight (weather permitting)!

Kristi said...

I remember you posting that recipe before and I have yet to make it! Oh, I am so going to have to do it now...it sounds SO good right now (I must be snacky, huh?).

Oh ants...aren't they lovely? We had a little ant infestation last summer near our garage entry door to the house. Not fun! :-)

But, how sweet of Ella to take care of these little "bug"gers like that! What a kind girl!

Anonymous said...

Yum! Granola! Can I put salt in it? Please!? Cullen has just recently taken to bugs, too. Just DON'T let the bug crawl on him. Then all youknowwhat breaks loose.

Jessica said...

Thanks for the link to the recipe. We love granola and I've been wanting to make my own. I wish I could make some right now, but alas..I'm stuck at work.

djp said...

I am definately going to cook up some granola: tonight in fact! Thanks for the link and the stories!

jana