Wednesday, June 4, 2008

message in a bottle on a balloon

*** Update*** Just tonight, as we were getting ready for bed, the doorbell rang. Ella ran to the door to find an envelope bearing her name on the doorstop. She instantly tore it open and asked for me to read it to her:

Ella's response to receiving a card back from "Jesus" was priceless.

Me: "Ella, Jesus got your balloon message!! What do you think about all of this?!?"

Ella: "It's
crazy!" The smile on her face was priceless, too.
******

On Saturday morning, I had invited a couple girlfriends from high school over for brunch. One of them showed up bearing gifts for the girls - balloons & flowers! They were estatic and haven't stopped playing with the balloons since. Until this morning, that is...when one slipped through Britten's little fingers and got away. Off it blew, into the gray, cloudy sky.

I was anticipating a meltdown on the spot, considering the affection my girls had for the balloon, but instead, to my surprise, the girls thought it was hilarious! They couldn't stop giggling and jumping up and down as they watched it fly off into the distance, growing smaller and smaller by the second. Ella noted the balloon was flying to see Jesus in the sky, and I assured her that Jesus would take good care of their balloon.

As it disappeared, Ella ran into the house, coming back seconds later with the 2nd of the 3 balloons. She let it go, purposefully this time, and both the girls giggled in excitement as it floated away. Once the balloon was out of view, Ella asked if she could send the third and final balloon off to its' demise Jesus, but this time, she wanted to attach a little message to the balloon...you know, just a little note to say "hi" to Jesus.

Absolutely, Ella, we can do that!

As Ella prepared and carefully wrote her note to Jesus, Britten wrote, er, scribbled, her own little note to Jesus...
...on our dining room wall! Ugh! I turn my back for two seconds (literally) and this is what she did! Two-year olds have an amazing ability to wreak havoc in a blink of an eye! Fortunately, they were washable markers and were easily washed off, but STILL!
Ella taped her message to the balloon, making sure to use only two pieces of tape so as not to "weight" the balloon down at all.

And it's off!

It had a slow start, but it eventually creeped further into the sky, closer to its destination: Heaven.

"We'll see you in another life, brother balloon!" (Anyone else a Lost fan? Sorry, I couldn't resist!)



4 comments:

Yvette said...

That's so sweet. Great pictures to go with your story too. When my son was 2 and a half, he painted my bedroom wall & carpet with purple fingernail polish while I was carrying the laundry into the basement. Not quite as easily removable as washable marker, but my aunt got it out after many hours of work. It is amazing what those little tikes can do in a short amount of time. I was hoping that it was just a boy thing since my daughter is approaching two.

BTW--I ran Monday & Tuesday. Not quite 3 miles, and not always running, but it was good to get out. Today, I rested with a bowl of ice cream.

Jessica said...

What a sweet little heart your Ella has wanting to write a note to Jesus. Nice work mom, instilling a love for Jesus in your little ones!

Kristi said...

OH...I love it!! I love that Ella wanted to write Jesus a note on the balloon (how sweet!) and I love the card that "Jesus" sent back to her!

Great post, cute pictures, and priceless the gift that you are passing onto your kids of knowing and loving Jesus!! So sweet!

Anonymous said...

This is so sweet. Especially.. that He wrote back. :)