Friday, April 11, 2008

watching the "SnewS"

I turned on the news early this morning so I could hear about the weather. I was supposed to be heading to MOPS later this morning, but with sleet and snow in the forecast and a 30 minute drive one-way, I don't think I'm comfortable driving my children in such unpredictable weather. Maybe if we wouldn't have traded our Suburban for a Honda Odyssey, I'd be a little more risky, but that's a regret I'm not in the mood to talk about.

Well, maybe I will talk about it...a little. I have to say that if you would've told me a year ago that I'd be driving a mini-van, I would've never believed you. I promised myself, before kids, that I wouldn't be that soccer mom. You know, the one on the free way driving everyone bonkers by her annoying driving habits! I would be the cool mom, in my clean, detailed SUV. The one who never missed stop signs or accidentally drove through a red light because she was busy telling her children to "BE QUIET!". Being pregnant with my third changed my perspective on the reality of vehicles. For as much as I loved the Suburban, the idea of hoisting another infant into the back seat, or crawling over the middle seat to buckle my older two in, did NOT sound appealing. Hence, the trade-in. There's no regret, really. I do love the practicality of the Odyssey with having so many small children, but a Suburban handled so much better in our lovely Minnesota weather!

Back to the news. I'm back on the couch, nestled in my blanket (my husband refers to this as "perching"), sipping my coffee, when Britten comes running into the room and turns off the TV (yet another reason, among many, my husband wishes we could buy a flat screen to hang above the fireplace).

Me: "Britten, please, turn on the TV. Mommy's watching the news because I need to watch the weather."

Britten: "No! I don't like "Snooze." I like "Snazzy" (for those of you wondering, she's referring to the Go Fish CD's)!"

Me: "Not "Snooze." The NEWS. I'm watching the news."

Britten: "Oh, I don't like "Snooze." And runs off, without turning on the TV. When did my compliant child turn into such a 2 year old?!?!? Well, I guess I know the answer to that question: September 7th.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with Britten: I prefer Snazzy to the Snews, too!

But, still, she should Slisten to her Smama!

sarah said...

that's my birthday too! :) ha ha :) what a good day!

Mamaskills said...

My fav is still "Splash" :) Missed you last night, check on next Thur and let us know or....we have to go get something I left at Grandma's on Sun so we could do Sunday again. I'll bring dinner this time :)

4under3 said...

Since we're on the Snazzy topic...I love to get my "Jammies on"..and also love my Yukon XL...but not hoisting children to the third row.

A said...

My birthday is just a day before.
When I was her age, I was muuuuch more mischeivous.

Kristi said...

Cute story!!! Yes, turning TWO is a whole new world, huh??? :-)

I have heard great things about the "Snazzy" CD...I need to go out and get it...I know that my kids would LOVE it!!!

And, yes we went to the VAN with three kids as well (never really saw that coming either!)! And, I agree, it is super convenient for traveling!! :-)