Friday, April 25, 2008

my mango

Mangos are my new favorite fruit. Nothing can beat the taste of a fresh, ripe, juicy mango. I LOVE them. But I guess you could say I have a love/hate relationship with mangos. For as much as I love the flavor, I hate the mess they make, or should I say I make, while trying to cut and slice them up. I've literally Googled "How to cut a mango" online and have yet to master the skill without leaving a juicy mess all over the counter and wasting half of the fruit trying to cut around the oblong seed!

A few weeks ago, I decided to temporarily stop buying mangos. When it comes to buying fruit, they are on the more expensive side. I couldn't justify the price when I felt I was wasting so much of the fruit and leaving such a mess in the process. I was done. I was going on a "Mango Strike."

That is, until I was walking through the fruit section at Byerly's and came across the following handy, dandy notebook tool, called the Mango Splitter:

Listed for $9.99, I thought it was a little spendy. But if it guaranteed satisfaction (which it did!) and promised to successfully remove the mango seed (which it did!) with ONE simple press (which it did!), I was ALL for investing that sort of money into the Mango Splitter! I was so excited. I dropped it into my cart, along with a mango, and headed to the check out counter.

I'm an impatient person, so the second I walked in the door from the store, I HAD to try out my new purchase. I rinsed the mango, washed the mango splitter with warm, soapy water (like they suggested), laid out my cutting board and went to town:



In one simple press (like they promised!), I was able to slice the fruit in half around the seed!


It left me with 2 beautiful "mango boats"....


...and one ugly seed, that I instantly threw in the garbage!

I sliced them, cubed them, and ate them right up! YUM! It had been too long!

My "Mango Strike" is officially over, thanks to my new Mango Splitter!

7 comments:

nealy said...

Ha! That's awesome...what a great idea. Thanks for the post...I might have to get one of those!

sarah said...

that's sweet! i have had the same problem with mangoes and so i gave up on them as well!

thanks for the tip!

Hilary said...

We love mangos in our family too! I never can cut them to get the maximum amount of fruit and I knew there was a tool out there to do the trick, but I could never find one!
I'll have to go check out Byerly's now...thanks!

Mamaskills said...

You're on a blogging craze today to make up for the last several days I see :) Miss ya, Am

Jenny said...

Nuh-uh. That is so totally way cool. I gave up eating Mangos after the first one I bought. That's impressive.

Kristi said...

Great tool!!! :-) Thanks for sharing...that was impressive!

brianna gray said...

How do you pick out a good mango? Yours looked so juicy and yummy in the picture!