Monday, July 21, 2008

minus one

The last two days around our house have been very quiet. The dynamics have drastically changed and things have been...peaceful. This is for one reason, and one reason alone: there's no sibling rivalry to be had.

We dropped Ella off with my mom on Saturday night at my sister's house, who then took Ella and my niece, Evie, up north to stay with her and my Dad until Wednesday. This "adventure" to Grandma's has become an annual tradition, with them doing the same thing last summer.

We miss Ella dearly, but knowing she's having a blast (going to the County Fair, swimming at the local Community Center and going on a boat ride on Grandpa's boat are just a few of the fun outings they have planned while at Grandma's) and the fact that the drama levels in our house, if only temporary, have significantly decreased, has made the last couple of days fly by.

We took advantage of only having the two youngest girls by taking them for a walk around the lake with B.O.B, our trusty jogging stroller. It was such a nice, relaxing walk, with no squabbling, screaming or pulling of hair. What a change from our normal, day-to-day life.

For as nice and manageable as the last couple days have been (Even with my husband out of town, I made it to church 20 minutes early yesterday!), we're looking forward to getting Ella back home on Wednesday. Britten, in particular, is missing her partner in crime.

Here's a few pictures from our outing today:

She looks lonely up there, doesn't she?!?

Either this tree stump looks MUCH bigger than it really was or Britten looks MUCH smaller than she really is (it's the wide angle lens on my husband's new camera)...Either way, I would NEVER put my daughter in a dangerous situation where she could take a tumble and break her little bones.

This is a more accurate view of stump, with Britten standing inside of it!
While my husband kept taking pictures of Britten, asking her to smile, she kept saying, "Why are you doing this?!?"

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was wondering what type of camera you use your pictres are AMAZING!:)

Kristi said...

Oh, how true is THIS! The dynamics of life and family sure do change SO very much when we are "minus one" too!! Even though there are times when life is "easier" (like less fighting) sometimes...there is just nothing like being ALL TOGETHER too - fighting and all!!! :-)

Cute pics of Britten (she really is getting so much older looking and grown up!)...sounds like you guys had a fun, relaxing day! That is great!

Anonymous said...

I was telling my mom about the sibling rivarly I get to witness between Ella and Britten and she looked pointedly at me and said, "You do not need to tell me what that is like." Unfortunately we put her through much the same thing. What is it with sisters?

Angela said...

I love Andy's pictures- they are amazing... what in the world- when did he become such a talented photographer!??! I guess he probably was always talented but we couldn't see his pictures before you started blogging!

Hilary said...

Welcome back! I missed ya!

nealy said...

Nice to see you back! =)

No worries...my sister and I were the same!

Kami said...

Amanda, I completely understand the change in dynamics, only for me, it has gone from being crazy, loud, hectic and wonderful (living with Jeremy, Missy and the kids) to really really quiet, being home by myself! Now that I've moved, I miss the chaos! :)