Saturday, July 26, 2008

2 Timothy 4:7

"I have fought the good fight. I have completed the race. I have kept the faith."

This particular verse kept coming to my mind this morning as I awoke, bright and early, donned my running gear, and went out to run my first 10k of the summer. But this verse, for as much as it pertained to my run this morning, was more on my mind for a dear friend who is in the middle of a major life crisis, her own race of sorts. Through it all, I have been blown away and so encouraged by her faith and her ability to lean on God and know that He is faithful to his word. As I ran this morning, she never left my thoughts or my prayers. Her struggles revolve around her unborn baby, and as a mother myself, I can't begin to imagine how scary this is for her. Please read her story here and keep her and her beautiful baby in your prayers.

My prayers for her must've done something for me, because today I ran the best race of my life! But I guess that's not hard to do, considering it's the third race I've ever participated in, but still, I finished my 10k race in a much better time than I was expecting: 51:53 to be exact.

I always assumed that I ran 9:40 minute miles, based on where I set my speed on my treadmill, but it's hard to gauge my speed when I'm running outside. I'm no mathematician, but the gentlemen at the 1-mile marker who was tracking our time kindly told me yelled out that I had finished my first mile in 8:14. I was flabbergasted! I was a bit winded compared to my normal runs, but I still felt great, so I was determined to keep this pace as long as my 5'2" frame allowed! At the 5-mile marker, the sweet, and totally ripped, lady on the bicycle gave me the same numbers. My legs were aching, but with 1.25 miles to go, I wasn't about to give up.

I was running alone, with no one cheering me on (I'm not having a pity party, just stating the facts), so by the last 1 mile stretch I was sorta wishing I had a partner to motivate me. Lo and behold, my wish was granted. This girl, who I'd been pacing for a while, was also running alone, and we sorta just "bonded" in our last mile. We only said about 20 words to each other, because frankly, it's hard to speak in full sentences after running for so long, but we really kept each other going. It was in the last 100 yards or so that she really pushed me, saying "C'mon! We can DO this!" and we both picked it up several notches and crossed the finish line together. I never did catch her name...only her number: 142. Thank you, 142, for your support and encouragement!

I fought the good fight. I ran the good race. And I kept the faith.

My biggest fans were waiting for me (half naked or in mismatched jammies) when I pulled in the driveway this morning:


7 comments:

Lisa said...

Congrats on your race. I'm so happy for you. Your children are beautiful. I especially love to see them half naked and in their pjs. Real life right there. :-) chloe is adorable - reminds me of my baby girl with your post below. Just this week she has started crawling so much that she will come looking for me in the kitchen.

Kristi said...

GREAT JOB, my friend! Look who is the "rockstar" NOW!!! :-)

You did so great...congratulations! See...those races bring out the speed in us and push us way harder than our treadmill/middle of the week runs!!! Way to "fight the good fight"!!

So glad to hear that it went well and so glad that you had your cute cheering squad with you too!!! What dolls they are! :-)

Who knows...maybe SOMEDAY we really WILL get to run together - even if it isn't in September! I would have loved to have been there to help encourage you and keep you going! That is always so helpful - especially that LAST mile...it was killer for ME too! :-)

sarah said...

way to go!!
that's great!!

i'm so glad that it went well and that you had fun!

Holmfamily said...

congrats number 344!

Anonymous said...

Congrats! Wow, you were running pretty fast! I am going to have to pick up my workout pace if I am going to keep up with you in Sept:) I try to keep between an 8 and 9 minutes mile pace but can work on that if you wanna run closer to 8??? Anyways, hope you are doing well! heather ann

brianna gray said...

GREAT work, Amanda!! Way to go! :)

Kiki said...

Congratulations on your first 10K! I ran one April of 2007 and am no where near running one currently! And also, you encourage me with having 3 kids (I'm due with our third son in November) and training for a marathon. I would have liked to be training with you but was already pregnant when you started. Maybe in a year or so.

I found MckMama's blog through someone else and have been praying for her too.

I don't know if you remember me or not, but I was actually at your house last summer, I came with Nealy and have Sage and Kolby. I found your blog through Nealy and have been reading for some time, sorry I don't leave comments, I will start now that I have "introduced" myself!