Friday, September 5, 2008

the time has come

Feeling a combination of relief, excitement and sadness, and with my nerves a bit frayed, I leave today and head north to run my 1/2 marathon. I know in a lot of people's minds, running 13.1 miles is not that big of deal. People do it and a whole lot more all of the time. I know it's not that big of deal. It's really not.

But then again, it is. I set this goal for myself in May, starting my training the first week of June. Juggling training among my already busy life was hard, but because I spread my training over three months, I found this gradual process very manageable. And because I've never done anything so structured or intense, I was surprised by how well my body adjusted to the increased mileage. Apparently training works! Who knew?!?

I'm very happy I did this. Proud of myself, in fact. I have set no time goal for myself, nor do I care in the least bit if I finish the race in last place. My only goal is that I finish, and that I finish running. I'm not a natural competitor and tend to shy away from situations where I feel pressured. But the idea of running with hundreds of other competitors is thrilling and I have a feeling will become addictive. I've had people tell me that once I start marathons I'll never stop. I think by this time tomorrow, I'll understand why.

Wish me luck. Or better yet, say a prayer for me. Goodness knows I'll need them! For as excited as I am about tomorrow, I am nervous and feeling doubtful that I'll finish. I don't know why I feel this way, considering I've already ran 13 miles and finished will little problems, but I do. Having confidence in myself, and my abilities, is something I've always struggled with my entire life, and in some ways, I feel God has sent me on this particular mission to show me that "with HIM, all things are possible."

As my mom always taught me, WORDS ARE A POWERFUL WEAPON. So I will only speak positively. I CAN do this, I WILL finish the race...still running. With HIM, ALL things are possible and that's a very comforting thought!

I AM a (1/2) Marathon Mommy, hear me roar! :)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been reading your blog since you started your training, I am just a random lurker, don't get freaked out. LOL! Anyway, because of your blogs, I have started running myself,(I am a mother of 2) I am up to 6 miles, nothing like you, but it is something to be proud of. You have inspired me! YOU WILL FINISH! I can't wait to hear how it was and how wonderful you feel after the big finish! Good luck! And by the way, you have got to have the most beautiful girls EVER!! You should enter them in modeling!
PS I am the one that loves your cowboy salsa!

Holmfamily said...

good luck tomorrow and know that i will be thinking and praying for you tomorrow, and don't worry, i too believe that you will finish and you will finish running! can't wait to hear all about it when you are done! yea!

Anonymous said...

Well, I think that 13.1 miles is AWESOME and would be impossible for me right now, so YOU GO GIRL! I can't wait to hear how it went. I did a full triathlon in college, which beat me up. I finished last, but I was just so proud of finishing that I totally didn't care.

sarah said...

wooo hoo!!!! i am SO excited for you to go run!
i wish i could be running with you!
i hope and pray all goes well and will be anxious for a report!!!
have fun!!!

Kiki said...

You will do awesome! I'm so excited for you and it is a big deal and a big accomplishment!

Can't wait to hear how it went!

Lakeville Vertical said...

Good luck and that is a huge accomplishment so you can be proud!!

Misty said...

I'm so very proud of you! The MOPS girls will be thinking of you at the parade when we are thinking about how long a two mile parade route is! My family will definitely say a prayer for you tonight. There is no doubt that you will finish this race running!!!

mrs boo radley said...

You will run a fabulous race! That I am sure of.

Sending you lots of prayers.

Angela said...

Yay, Amanda! You CAN do it... I am so proud of you for going for it. Way to go, girl!