Thursday, September 25, 2008

lemme explain

In recent days, I've had a few close friends ask me about my blogging habits. More specifically, they were wondering why and giving me a hard time (jokingly, of course) that I haven't been blogging much over the last few months. I was a little surprised anyone noticed, or even cared really, that I wasn't posting on a regular basis. I mostly keep it light on my blog, writing about the things my girls do that I find funny, or documenting the moments I feel are memorable. To think anyone else enjoys reading my ramblings and claim to miss reading them regularly is actually quite hilarious to me.

It was because of this I decided to explain myself to my few avid reader and friends, who open my blog daily, patiently awaiting another post.

To say I've been busy this summer is an understatement. Between training for my 1/2 marathon, getting MOPS off the ground at my church, working part time (as a Realtor), traveling almost every weekend, and trying to manage being a Mom and Wife, I've had little to no down time. And with the little down time I have had, I've had NO energy to sit at my computer and write. Writing requires you to think, or at least it requires ME to think. And because I'm a slow processor, I'm not someone who can pound out an interesting post in a matter of a few minutes. It takes me a while and exerts a lot of brain power. Brain power I lack when I still have yet to get a full night of sleep (this is a result of a blue-eyed baby who still wakes up 2-4 times a night).

But even with a busy schedule, I've still found time to blog in the past, so my "busyness" is a lame excuse and a cover-up to the real reason I've been MIA.

It all has to do with the power of addiction. Addiction runs in my family, but I'd be surprised to hear of a family that doesn't struggle with addiction in one form or another. Fortunately, I've been able to rise above and make the right choices in my life to keep me out of any major trouble. My entire family is living proof that by God's grace alone, you can overcome addiction and not let it control your life.

But even with choosing the right path, so to speak, I still find that I have the tendencies to be easily consumed by certain things and find it next to impossible to break particular habits. If you see where I'm going with this, you won't be surprised to hear me admit the following:

Hi. My name is Amanda and I'm a blogging addict.

Once I started blogging last winter, I couldn't stop. Whether it was writing my own posts or reading and commenting on other blogs, I was wasting away hours at my computer every day. My thoughts were consumed by topics I wanted to blog about and I found myself drawn to the computer, opening up my favorite blogs on an almost hourly basis.

Before my blogging days, I'd spend a maximum of one hour at my computer daily, only using it to check my email and possibly the weather. I'm a busy body, a trait I inherited from my mother, and just the idea of sitting for more than 10 minutes at a time makes me bored. Because of this, I had no clue I'd enjoy blogging so much and that is would control me in the way it did.

Yes, there are worse things I could be addicted to. Way worse. But when blogging started taking precedence over my family and my commitments as a wife and a mother, I realized I had a problem. I realized I needed to make a change. I've also been dealing with a lot over the last few months, emotionally and spiritually, and knew I had to make certain sacrifices in order to not succumb to the stress and pressure weighing on my shoulders.

When my children are snuggled safely in their beds at night, I will push the urge aside to run to my computer and spend the rest of my waking hours blogging. I need to spend what little downtime I have doing the things that are necessary to keep me sane and happy. Those include devotions with my Lord and Savior, because without HIM, I would be utterly lost. Running, cleaning my house, doing the laundry, grocery shopping, doing bills and responding to necessary emails are just a few of the other things that top my list of priorities.

But with all that said, I still absolutely love my blog and totally enjoy reading other blogs. I've just learned to balance things a bit better, and I've found that my family and I are better of this way. I have a feeling you'll be hearing more from me in days to come, though, because a couple weeks ago I sent Ella off to her second year of preschool and I now have three afternoons a week where I'm left with 2 hours of down time.

Sigh. Down time. It's been a long time coming!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I certainly didn't want to put any pressure on you, so I didn't say anything, but I check your blog everyday and when you do write, I love to read it. (I think that was a run-on sentence.) Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that when YOU want to write a post, I will for sure be reading it.

nealy said...

I totally know what you mean. Sometimes I have to tell myself,...I control my blog, my blog doesn't control me! =)

It is a little addicting, though. Especially when you first start!

Sounds like you are so busy! I hope you can have a relaxing weekend!

Hilary said...

I totally hear ya! Blogs (writing and reading others) can be time consuming and can actually be detrimental to our relationships (with God and family etc) when we put so much energy into them!
So, I applaud you for recognizing that and doing what you need to do. Being in the presence of God and being with family is oh so more important.
Thanks for sharing and I hope you continue to do well with all the things keeping you busy!
Take care,
Hilary

mrs boo radley said...

I read all your posts, Amanda, and I thoroughly enjoy them. Props to you for being so mindful about B A L A N C E.

sarah said...

i was wondering how you were .. and what you were up to ;)

i completely understand what you're saying though. i hope that you do find your "happy balance." i enjoy reading your posts ;)

Lakeville Vertical said...

I have wondered how you were also. However my posts have been lacking also. Since my older two went back to school I thought I would have all sorts of time on the computer. Silly me. My son, the only left at home for one more year wants my attention and devotion. I have chosen him over blogging and my posts are lacking but I'm not willing to waste precious time with him. They grow too fast and some day when they've all left my home I will have more time for things like blogging. Until then, I'm a bad blogger. Hope your Mops is going well. Good luck to you. :)

Anonymous said...

Glad you're doing good with the "blogging addiction". I will not guilt you anymore...but when you do write new posts I guarantee I will be on of the first to read them. It's true-there are many many things more important for you than blogging...Hope you are doing well and enjoying a little "down time" Have a great weekend! Heather ann

Jessica said...

Thanks for your honesty. I think alot of us in the blogging world can relate to your addiction. It's so hard sometimes to not let it be consuming. Keep up the good work of finding a balance!

Kiki said...

I too love reading your blog but applaud you for keeping balance in your life. It can be difficult and blogging can be so consuming.

My husband still laughs when I tell him, "a friend" told me because he knows I probably read it on a blog!

Kristi said...

I have missed reading your going-ons as well...I check your blog almost daily as well!!! :-) I love seeing your pictures, love reading about your sweet family, and will always continue to follow you guys for as long as you blog!! :-)

Thanks for sharing and being honest about your finding balance! Sounds like we have similar personalities in this way too! We do have lots in common, my friend!! Amen to balance and having good time with the family and our Lord first! You are an encouragement! :-)

Natalie said...

just wanted to share with you, I just finished my 10k race and I ran the whole thing! That was my only goal and it felt great to accomplish that!!!! Thanks for being an encouragement by accomplishing your goals!

Angela said...

Hey Amanda! I've missed you!! On blog world- and in person! Hope all is well and that MOPS is going great.

Ashley said...

i know how you feel. I am on the computer more now than I ever have. I do try to wait until I have taken care of all of my household responsibilities though. LIke your blog!!