Monday, February 23, 2009

why to never have "serious talk" in front of your children

For whatever reason, I decided that having a discussion with my husband about having more children (or rather, not having more children) while my girls were playing in the same room was an appropriate thing to do. I brought it up in the first place because I've been contemplating surgery on my leg, but because I can't have the surgery without knowing that we're done having children, this is a decision we must be certain of. After going back and forth with my husband about the surgery, the pros and cons, etc, I made the following statement (rather hesitantly, if you must know):

"So, I am done having kids then..."

Ella, who had been oblivious to our conversation up to that point, quickly shot up and said: "No! No you can't! You just can't!"

Me, a little surprised by her response, asked: "Ella, do you even understand what we're talking about?"

Ella: "Yes, and you can't be done."

Me, still digging, because I still wasn't certain she knew what we were talking about: "What do you think that means when Mommy says that?"

Ella: "It means you're done with us kids and that you don't want to be a mommy. You're going to leave here and never come back."

You can imagine my shock to her response! She interpreted my simple statement of not wanting to have more children as "I'm done having kids! I don't want them anymore! I'm leaving!"

I instantly scooped Ella into my arms and squeezed her tightly. I told her how much I loved her and I assured her that I would never, ever leave her or the rest of the family. I LOVE being a Mommy. It's my most favorite thing in the whole wide world! I went on to explain that when Mommy says, "I'm done having kids," what I mean is that I'm done having babies and that I won't have a baby in my belly again.

Ella: "No, you can't! You can't be done! You HAVE to have another baby in your belly! You just have to!"

The moral of this story is to never try to have a serious conversation in front of your children unless you want them to gravely misinterpret what you're saying or you want them involved in the decision making process.

7 comments:

mrs boo radley said...

Aww! I can see where that phrase might be confusing for little ears.

So...are you done?

Natalie said...

Oh, yes...the brains of children are amazing things!

Misty said...

You sure do make beautiful babies...

Kami said...

My problem is the exact opposite - how to tell my step-daughter (who absolutely does NOT want Monte and I to have children) that I indeed AM pregnant! :)

Love you!

Anonymous said...

Scary, I'm glad she spoke it out so you could clarify the matter. I don't get tired of looking at ur girls they're just beautiful but don't you want a little boy???
come on they're fun! hehehe

was nice seeing u at LT.

Loukia said...

Cute! And I totally agree! It is very hard to have adult conversations around my 3 year old, because he is always asking what we are talking about and wants to know everything in detail!

Angela said...

This was so cute, Amanda! I mean- cute in a sort of sad kind of a way... poor Ella!!