Wednesday, February 11, 2009

bringing home the bacon

Ella and Britten are at the ages where they enjoy to make-believe and act out all sorts of their wild ideas. It's during these times that my girls actually get along with each other and somehow put their differences aside. That's a very rare occurrence at our house, so I relish in these moments.

One of their favorites is pretending they're grocery shopping. I can't say I enjoy this particular game as it involves some clean-up on my part, but if they're not hurting themselves (or each other) in the process, I'll gladly take on the extra work.

They begin their grocery excursion by using a dining room chair as a grocery cart and moving it up alongside the pantry door. They open the door and start unloading food items from the pantry, item by item, and putting them on the chair. Once the "cart" is full, they slowly and carefully push the chair down our hallway to their bedroom (or they "drive home," as they call it) where they proceed to unload their groceries into their own "pantry" (aka their bookshelf). They make a few round trips like this before calling it quits. I usually step in at this point because they start talking about "making muffins" or "mixing granola" with their new groceries, and I'm not about to clean up that mess.

Here's my happy little shoppers:
It's funny how they never "pay" for their groceries. :)

4 comments:

mrs boo radley said...

Free groceries. I miss living at home.

Kami said...

Aaahh ... free groceries?! I usually end up paying for more than I had anticipated, as Colin usually is able to sneak something in the cart on me! :)

Misty said...

That is so cute! You can tell by the photo how much fun they have with it.

Alphabet Family said...

What a good mom you are by letting your kids actually take the food...I'm not so understanding when my shelves are emptied like that.....might have to do with the few messes I've had to clean-up when they have tried to "make" a surprise for me with the food!