Monday, August 18, 2008

marathon mommies: weekly "whenever i feel like it" log

For those of you wondering, I am still training for my 1/2 marathon. I've been training for 2 1/2 months and I'm very happy with where things stand. Last weekend I ran 11.2 miles, my longest run to date, and it went really well. By the last 2 miles, I was dragging my feet a bit. Mostly, I was just bored out of my mind! I ran around a local lake 4 times in order to reach my mileage, and I about lost it by the 4th lap. I was seriously talking to familiar landmarks, thanking them for their support and letting them know it was the last time I'd see them that day. This weekend I run 13.2 miles, and I've already planned out another route that will take me around 3 lakes in an absolutely gorgeous area of the city. I'm actually looking forward to that! I hope the weather holds out or I'll be stuck on a treadmill and that would stink!

I did end up having to buy yet another pair of running shoes. Turns out, my old "new" pair that I bought just over a month ago weren't a very good fit. They always felt a little "off," but I assumed I'd get used to the fit as I put on more miles. But the longer I ran, the worse I felt, and I knew I couldn't put off the obvious: I needed another pair of shoes. There was no way I could force my body to run 13.2 miles in a pair of ill-fitting shoes without doing serious damage to my feet or knees. You can't return a pair of used running, because frankly, that's just gross. But the manager at the Running Store was very understanding of my situation and gave me 20% off on my NEW shoes. And as it turned out, they were selling last year's model of my OLD FAITHFUL running shoe, the Asics Gel Nimbus, for 1/2 off, so I got a GREAT deal. I broke them in last weekend running 11.2 miles and they felt marvelous. It was well worth the money spent.

So overall, everything in the running department is on a roll and I'm gearing up for the big race day: September 6th. I love having a goal to work towards...It has pushed me to run further and harder than I ever have before and I am so grateful for that. Accomplishing something for myself is so rewarding. I am, however, looking forward to a break from "training" and being able to run at my leisure again.

3 comments:

sarah said...

i run in the gel nimbus too!! LOVE EM!

i'm so excited for you that you are doing so well! and man do i hear you on the boredom factor!

unfortunately i can't match you for distance run ... BUT ... i wish i could :)

keep it up! you're almost there!!

Kristi said...

WOW...keep up the GREAT work, my friend!!! I SOOOOOOOO still wish that I could be training and running with you! :-( Hopefully I can still be there to CHEER you on!

Just two and a half more weeks of training...you can do it!! :-)

4under3 said...

That's really funny....talking to familiar landmarks....informing them it was the last time you'd see them that day.

You so fun-NAY!!