Saturday, November 8, 2008

i'm all grown up now

Apparently turning 5 years old means Ella thinks she's old enough to take care of herself.

Being the early riser she is, there are mornings she wakes up long before anyone else. On these particular mornings, she'll come into our room to let us know she's awake, but then she'll proceed to go into the living room and plop herself down in our big brown chair. She'll grab the remote, turn the TV to Channel 5-3, and from there, sit and watch a couple of her favorite Disney cartoons until the rest of us roll out of bed.

There are times she'll wake me up because she's hungry. I'll quickly make her some toast, pour her some cereal or scramble her an egg, but I'll almost always head back to bed for a few more minutes of zzz's.

Today Ella decided she didn't need my help anymore. Since turning 5 a couple of days ago, Ella is convinced she is independent enough to survive on her own sheer will. Most days, that's probably true.

My husband was second to rise this morning. As most mornings, he goes into the living room to find Ella in her chair eating cereal. But unlike most mornings, she was devouring her cereal from a large tupperware container. Odd, he thought.

He walks into the kitchen to find a pot of coffee brewing. Grounds are strewn about and water is spilled on the countertops. He turns around to see Ella standing behind him, a big smile on her face.

"I made coffee, Daddy. All by myself! And I got my own cereal, too! I didn't even ask Mommy!"

Andy looks around the kitchen...The cereal had been put back in the pantry with no crumbs to be found on the counter. The milk was put back in its' place in the fridge, the cap tightly screwed back on. And believe it or not, the coffee tasted great.

6 comments:

4under3 said...

Wo! And that's what happens to a 4-yr-old on her 5th birthday? And coffee? Impressive.

And, the only thing that could have made this weekend better, is if I could have met you at the concert too! Why is it that we miss each other like this? First The Meadows, then my hometown.

How did the girls' birthday party go?

I can't believe Chloe is such a big girl now.

Mamaskills said...

Told you - it will come :)

mrs boo radley said...

Ah, yes, the ever-incredible first-born!!

sarah said...

impressive!!! the benefits to an early riser i guess :)

Misty said...

I am very impressed. I think I may need Ella's expertise. My coffee is nothinig to brag about!

Lakeville Vertical said...

Oh boy does she sound like my oldest. Some mornings I find that she has not only gotten herself ready but her siblings as well.
Now, she hasn't done coffee. Maybe I could teach her. :)