Sunday, February 10, 2008

Pumpkin Flax Muffins

If you're looking for a yummy and mostly nutritious snack for your kids, look no further. This recipe for Pumpkin Flax Muffins (it's actually a vegan recipe, although I am not a vegan) is such a hit with my girls and it's sooooo easy to make. Seriously, my girls are the pickiest eaters on the planet and they LOVE these. I thought, if my kids love these, surely, yours will, too. Enjoy!

2 T. Flax Seed Meal
6 T. Water
1 1/2 C. Sugar (I know, it's alot of sugar, but it's the only unhealthy thing in the recipe)
1 Cup of Canned Pumpkin Puree
1/2 Cup Applesauce
1 C. Whole Wheat Flour
2/3 C. All-Purpose Flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ground cloves

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a muffin pan
2. Whisk together flax seed meal and water. Mix in sugar, pumpkin and applesauce.
3. In a large bowl, stir together both whole wheat and all purpose flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, baking powder, nutmeg and cloves. Add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture; stir until smooth. Pour batter into prepared pan.
4. Bake for approximately 35 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.

6 comments:

Angela said...

I am going to try these for sure!! Thanks for sharing this!

Kristi said...

I agree...this looks like a great recipe to try! Thanks for posting it!!! :-)

Anonymous said...

I remember you talking about these at our MOPS table when I first met you. Now that I have the recipe, I think I am going to make them! We love flax! Oh, and sugar:)

Yvette said...

I stumble across your blog occasionally through mck mama. Thanks for posting the recipe! With my boy allergic to eggs, I'm always looking for good eggless baking recipes. And we've got flaxseed on hand since it makes a good egg replacer. I'm glad you posted it. So what do you do with the extra pumpkin? Make another batch? :)

Yvette said...

I just wanted to mention that I made these muffins, and we love them! Thanks so much for posting. I'm making them again for my Saturday morning nursery workers.

4under3 said...

Hey, it's me again. I'm going to leave a comment here everytime I pull this post up for this recipe. I think I've already told you that this recipe is our favorite muffin recipe.

Just wanted to tell you we just finished a double batch of this.

Mmm.

Tiff

P.S. I know you commented about the sugar being a lot, but we substitute honey about 1 1/3 c instead. It's really good that way too.