Thursday, May 7, 2009

aging DISgracefully

I got quite the chuckle out of the following conversation:

I'm at one of the classes that I attend regularly at my gym, doing the 100th set of lunges, when the lady lunging standing next to me strikes up a conversation. She's actually an acquaintance of mine because our daughters attend the same preschool, and I occasionally run into her at the gym.

She started talking to me about the different classes offered at the gym, and why she liked some but really disliked others, when all of sudden she asked me:

"Did you ever attend aerobics classes back in the '80s?"

Um..."What?" Surely I misunderstood the question.

"Did you ever attend aerobics classes in the '80s?"

I didn't know how to respond. She's such a nice lady, I didn't have the heart to say I was born in the '80s (1980, to be exact) and put her in an awkward position, so I responded in the only appropriate way I could think of:

"No."

"Oh." And with that, the conversation ended and we went on with our lunges.

5 comments:

TanyaLea said...

My Dear Amanda~

As nice as this lady may have been, let me assure you that she is entirely delusional!! I think she may have done a few too many lunges and definitely too many aerobics in the 80's! We all only WISH we were aging like you! For Pete's SAKE!!!...you have been blessed with your mother's gorgeous genes... and to age like her would be more than most would dare hope for! So let that crazy question blow away like dandelion seeds in the wind!! You are so young looking and beautiful ...you have NOTHING to worry about!!

Silly lady! :)

Misty said...

Hello my friend - she probably just thinks you are of a similar age because you have children that are the same age. I know that I feel younger when I'm around you and the other MOPS moms and think that we should all be the same age! Wouldn't we all love to have your flawless, wrinkle-free complexion...

bryan skillestad said...

it's just your impressive maturity that had her confused.

Lisa said...

You will have to forgive her. Speaking as an old lady myself, it is really unimaginable that a grown up could be born in the 80s. I still can't figure it out. I'm going to get my calculator and figure out how old you really are. Gosh. I feel terrible now.

Anonymous said...

Hey Amanda,

Well at least you do not have my situation - When I have been at the RFC with Craig and no kids there have been a couple of people that say to him that it is so nice that you and your daughter go to the Gym together. They must not notice the rock on my finger. Oh, and yes this has happened more than once with different people.

Jes